Thursday, January 29, 2009

little girl, BIG SCARE

Ashlyn got a nasty bug and has been sick for the last few days. Yesterday, however, she took a turn for the worse. We started the morning off by calling my mom aka "Grandma Sue" to take drive us to Ashlyn's doctor. Ashlyn had not been eating or drinking and had really bad (sorry to say it) diarrhea. It had given her a horrible diaper rash and everytime she had an accident she would just cry and cry from the pain. I felt soo bad for her. NEWAYS we took her to the pediatrician and then went and got some special cream for her tush. All day she was completely not herself. She just layed on the couch and barely said a word. I noticed she was shivering so I gave her a blanket. I also felt her forehead and she seemed feverish so I gave her a little Tylenol. About a half an hour or so later I noticed she was still shivering. I felt her head and she was really hot. I took off her blanket and her shirt and her whole body was burning up. She was still shaking and did not look good at all. I went and got the thermometer, took her temperature, and was shocked when it read 105.8. I ran and grabbed the phone and called my parents. My mom told me to immediately call the doctor and get her in a tub of luke warm water. When I called the doctor they told me to give her a tablespoon of Children's Motrin and have her soak in the cool tub for a half an hour. If her fever didn't go down after that then they wanted us to take her to the hospital. I was so scared!!! Ashlyn was bawling and I'm sure my frantic state wasn't helping. My mom rushed over and Bret decided to leave work and come home. Luckily after soaking in the cool tub and Grandma Sue & Bret convincing her to drink some water, slowly we were able to bring Ashlyn's temp down. We spent the rest of the night switching off giving her Tylenol and Motrin every 2 hours. Poor Ashlyn has not been having a very fun time with this illness. Today she just wanted to be held and not doing any activities. She won't eat and we have to work very hard to get her to drink fluids. I really hope she starts coming around soon and that we won't have to take her in to get an I.V. from dehydration. Meanwhile we will just keep praying for her and have faith that this will all shortly pass.

Poor little girl didn't even have the energy to get her head out of the crack. She didn't like it when I tried to move her so I just stuck a pillow under her head.

6 comments:

Katy said...

Awww.. poor baby! I hate that feeling of hopelessness/panic that comes with sick kids! Despite her feeling like crap, she still looks so cute on the couch all cuddled up with her doll and blanky!

Brooke said...

Oh, what a poor little girl! And poor you, I would be terrified too! I'm glad she's doing a little bit better. I'm glad you have a good mom to help you like that.

Anonymous said...

AW poor poor little girl!! But come on it does give me a little giggle that her head is kinked in the crack! ha ha so sorry Krissy!

Em Levy {orange + barrel} said...

Oh, Poor Ashlyn! I am glad that she is getting better. She is a cute sick little girl though!

Dawny said...

Awww, poor little Ashlyn...you both are troopers! I hope she is feeling much better now :-)

karen★ said...

she looks beautiful and heartbreaking. I am so sorry she was so sick...hope she gets better soon!