Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The Wonderful World of Do It Yourself Sewing!

Well this week there are some huge fabric sales going on so my mom and I are off to the store to get some fabrics for my upcoming projects. There are so many cute botiques that sell some super cute baby stuff- the only problem is that they think I'm going to pay an arm and a leg to buy them. WRONGO!!! I am not the best sewer/seamstress by all means but I have found that sewing your own things is actually not hard at all and soooooo cost effective!!!!! So if you see something you want- why not try and make it?
Here's my "make it yourself" project list:1. A Cute Car Seat Cover/Canopy! It's gonna be RSV season when this baby comes and lots of people put blankets over their baby's car seat when they sleep- I did with Ashlyn. Well someone came up with the idea of putting some cute straps on some fabric so that you can still use the car seat handle and the your blanket won't fall off- walla the car seat cover botique style. Looks so easy to make and so cheap!
2. Boppy Cover! I love my boppy but the cover I have has taken some wear and tear. I also am going to be having a boy this time and want to make a cute boy cover. I always see these super soft and nice ones at target but $30 bucks just for the cover? I got my boppy and cover for less than that. So what do I do? Make a new one! I'm just going to take my old thrashed one apart and use it as a pattern to make new ones. And hey if my next baby after this is a girl? Then I have another fun project and more cute fabric to buy.
3. Hospital Gown! One of my cousins had a baby less than a year ago and when she posted pictures on her blog I saw her wearing this adorable hospital gown. I was like- do they let you wear your own? Well then I did some researching and found some super cute ones on etsy.com. The only thing is that I'm not willing to pay $80 for one. So I'll just make my own. That way I get to pick whatever fabric I want. They are so easy to make too- it's like a mumu with snaps everywhere and a little ribbon to make it pop.

4. Crib bedding! I made Ashlyn's crib bedding and it turned out great. It was so much cheaper than buying a set so I am going to do it again for baby Gavin. I have a specific idea in mind and am going to be pretty picky when it comes to fabric but I have plenty of time until he will go into the actual crib so I'm not in a rush to find fabric right away.

6 comments:

Moore Family said...

Girl! Where are you getting these so cute ideas? I want to know how you made them so I can make my own too. How cute!

Katy said...

you're the bomb dot com, lady! I love all the projects and the carseat cover... i MUST copy!!!! (ps, NOT having a baby any time soon.... just love the idea!)

James and Laura Neibaur said...

Oh--yes! I'm so glad you are doing these things--it gives the world hope that we don't have spend all our money on something someone else made! I'll have to get some of your "recipes." :)

karen★ said...

those are some of the cutest things I have ever seen especially the hospital gown! Ashlyn's bedding is so awesome so I can't wait to see how baby G's turns out!

Jill said...

Dang i wish i knew how to sew, so many possibilities out there!

Candace said...

I feel so inspired now! All those projects look so cute and don't look toooo hard. I can't wait to see how they turn out and maybe I'll try some when I get my sewing machine back in September! Make sure you post some pics!