Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Getting a little Green


Well it's Earth week as you all know and watching different shows on t.v. and yes even some of Ashlyn's shows have inspired me to make some goals to become a little more green. Here are 5 things that we are doing or plan on doing to become a little more green.

1. As my lightbulbs that were here originally keep burning out I am replacing them with the more "green" friendly LED lights. They use a lot less energy and only cost 39 cents- what a deal!

2. Recycling! We are so blessed that our city of Bountiful has set up weekly recycling for us. And man you can pretty much recycle anything. Our recycling bin is always overflowing and it feels good to know that all of that stuff will be recycled and not sitting in a dump! Ashlyn always helps me take up the things that fall out of the bin and the empty milk gallons.

3. Turn it off. If you're not using it- turn it off. I don't leave lights on in rooms I'm not in and I try to turn appliances off or the computer on energy saver when they are not in use.

4. Reuse items. Paper scraps are great for notes, plastic bags make great puke buckets when your prego and on the go (sorry about that one), etc. Try and get creative with reusing things. And don't forget to donate unwanted household items or toys instead of throwing them away!

5. Gardening. Even though I don't have a garden, I do get things from my dad. I love having fresh spaghetti squash, tomatoes, cucumbers, peaches, plums, etc. and not having to buy them at the store. You'd be surprised when people grow gardens and then have lots of extra fruits and veggies they can't use. Never be afraid to ask. People do it to my dad all the time and he's always happy to share!
As Ron Burgandy would say... "You stay classy- PLANET EARTH!"

3 comments:

Katy said...

i know, with Handy Manny around, I'm always feeling a bit of guilt (not calling him to get solar power installed, etc). Great ideas though-- I need to follow en suit. I loved your last line... hilarity!

karen★ said...

I am horrible at "going green" and sharing that example with the boys...excellent tips! love the last picture!

Andrea McEntire said...

Good suggestions!