Thursday, July 19, 2012

Ashlyn's Birthday Carnival Celebration

Ashlyn officially turned 5 years old right before we left for our trip to Utah.  This is the first year we have allowed her to have an official birthday party with friends.  We usually do something small with family.  But since we don't have any family around and since she is still making friends here, we thought we would try to make this a special day for her and try to make her feel extra loved in our new place.  I got the idea to do a carnival when looking through a Family Fun Magazine and started planning away.  I really love planning parties so I had a ton of fun putting things together.  I also had a lot of help from great friends who helped run our little booth areas and my amazingly talented friend Crescent who took pictures and ran a little photo booth.  The only set back was the wind...I had no idea how crazy it would be and we had to make lots of adjustments, keep things in boxes, and tape stuff down so we could make things work.  The kids all had a blast and on Saturday Ashlyn and I get to take Thank You cards with the kids pictures on them to everyone.
We stayed true to our Carnival atmosphere and served carnival treats- flavored popcorns, licorice, hot dogs, nachos, circus cookies, sparkling juice, and every kids' favorite cotton candy! 
(What a healthy meal...lol...sorry parents)
Of course, it wouldn't be a carnival without games.  There was a fortune telling booth, duck pond, knock em' down cans, a ring toss, face painting, and the photo booth.  Thanks to all my friends who helped run the areas!  The wind made things difficult, but the kids had tons of fun!
And of course, the cute kids--THANKS FOR COMING!
And of course our birthday girl...
HAPPY BIRTHDAY ASHLYN!!
We sure had a super fun time!

2 comments:

Andrea McEntire said...

That looks so fun Kristin. You did a great job on the party!

Jake and Emily Hutchings Family said...

i still think you are crazy for doing all that but i loved reaping the benefits! cooper's birthday is coming up in october so you're going to start planning it soon, right?