You will not believe my morning! It all started with Gavin waking up WAY too early at 6:00am. He never does this! My kids and I sleep in late. I taught them at an early age that mommy is not a morning person and neither are they. His waking up at 6:00am led to him turning on the TV and when trying to navigate channels, he turned the volume way up, thus waking me, Bret, and the baby---ugh! So, I rolled out of bed, got the baby, and snuggled with the two of them on the couch in my garments and a blanket. An hour later, Bret is leaving for school and I know we have a showing for our house this morning so I start to help the kids make their beds and pick up their rooms a little. Ashlyn's room done, next onto Gavin's. I'm in his room with Ashlyn and the baby in the hall, when Gavin comes in and shuts the door behind him. "Mommy, Gavin just locked us in," says Ashlyn. "What?" I run to the door and sure enough it's locked.
We switched the door handle around (with the lock on the outside) just a few days ago because Gavin likes to escape at night, during nap times, timeouts, etc. and locking him in made things so much easier.
Ok, so the baby is in the hall, while me and the other kids are stuck in Gavin's room--NOT GOOD!! I start to panic! I kept telling myself to stay calm but the fact that I had no phone, no clothes, no key to even get back in the house...all kept running through my head. I frantically searched through Gavin's toys for something long, thin, and small to try and open it from the inside--no luck! I finally opened his window, broke out the screen, and crawled out--IN MY GARMENTS!
I ran around to the front of the house and tried to open the door--locked! I ran to the garage and tried to pull it up--not budging! I then ran to the next door neighbor (not LDS--don't even know if they know what Mormons are, let alone seen anyone in garments)--they didn't answer. (Kinda glad they didn't)
The only member in our little block is like 5 houses down so I run back to the window (over the rock landscaping which was not fun to go through). On my way back to the window I saw 2 people see me in my garments and was super embarrassed! I decided to have Ashlyn throw me a little blanket to try and wrap around me before running down the block to the LDS family's house. She answered the door and huffing and puffing, I told her my situation and asked for a flat head screw driver to unlock Gavin's door. I got the tool, ran back to the window, crawled inside and unlocked the door--FREEDOM AT LAST. I swooped up the baby and hurried to put on some clothes before returning the tool. Crazy morning, right?!
I called Bret to tell him what happened and he said he was dealing with his own issues trying to make it to school on time to take his test because the highway was closed due to a stolen school bus chase--umm ok?! I also called my mom to tell her what had happened and she instructed me to put a screwdriver up in Gavin's closet so it wouldn't happen again...oh and not to flash the neighbors anymore. Thanks, mom!
I called Bret to tell him what happened and he said he was dealing with his own issues trying to make it to school on time to take his test because the highway was closed due to a stolen school bus chase--umm ok?! I also called my mom to tell her what had happened and she instructed me to put a screwdriver up in Gavin's closet so it wouldn't happen again...oh and not to flash the neighbors anymore. Thanks, mom!



4 comments:
haha that has happened to me, locked out of the house wearing only garments luckily i didnt have to run up the block!! Yikes garments dont leave much to the imagination :)
OH MY GOSH! kristin, that is so bad! and....i didn't know you were alone this week. i could have helped you. please, please tell me if you need help!
That is so horrible! I'm SO sorry!! It'll make for a great story when your kids are older, though ;). Hope your day gets better!
OH MY GOSH!!! James and I were cracking up so badly!!!! I have had some similar experiences. Love those kids!! You are SO funny. I pictured the whole thing! Couldn't help it! What did your LDS neighbor's think? Did they offer you some clothes?!
Post a Comment